Hola Rena Ware Familia!
So excited to share with you this month my recipe of Taco Boats with my 4 year old daughter, RenaBella. Yes if you wondering where her name came from, your right, it’s from her great-great grandmother “Rena”. We love the Rena Ware Family! RenaBella is my adorable little helper in the kitchen and loves to assist me in cooking healthy family meals for the family.
This recipe is easy to make with kids and also gets them involved easily into cooking. It’s a great activity and can keep them entertained for hours as well. We do a fun family activity in our house called “top cook”, where we give our kids all the same ingredients and have them make their own version of the meal. Then they serve it to Ben and I for us to judge their plates.
The kids always love this fun activity. It’s so important to incorporate kids into cooking healthy at an early age. So I encourage you to try this in your home and use ingredients that your kids don’t maybe like, but they will love to play with and experiment with to make a meal for you. As a mom of 3 kids with lots of different favorite foods, I have found that giving them lots of options has helped them have a well rounded diet and encouraged them each to try new things! So grab your kids and start making some tacos together!
2 pounds chicken tenders, or any cut of chicken that you prefer, just cut into 1-1.5 inch chunks.
2 tbsp avocado oil, or another oil of your choice, I love avocado oil because of its high heat properties and that it adds nice mild flavor to the chicken. But any oil works nicely!
2-3 tbsp christy’s taco seasoning: 1 tsp of each of these- oregano, paprika, sea salt pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder
2 avocados, 1 sliced using Rena Ware avocado utensil
1 can jalapeños, optional to add into chicken on the stove or on top of your tacos. Depending on the amount of spice that your family enjoys.
1 can of fire- roasted tomato slices, or 1 fresh tomato chopped up.
1 bunch of radish, washed, sliced thinly
1 cup sour cream
1 bunch Cilantro, washed, and finely cut up
2-3 limes, depending on how zesty you like your tacos, 1 lime set aside for juice for the sour cream
Hot sauce of your choice
8-12 corn or flour tortillas
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine the cumin, pepper, salt, oregano, paprika, chili powder, garlic, and onion powder, in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken liberally with the sea salt and pepper. Add the avocado oil to the skillet and once it’s hot, add in the chicken. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side. Add the fresh sliced tomatoes or a can of fire-roasted tomatoes. Cover the skillet and place it in the oven, roasting for 20 minutes. You will also use the oven to heat the tortillas as well.
4. Now it’s time to prepare the sides for your tacos & set aside.
– slice radishes
– chop lettuce
– slice avocados
– cut up limes
– crumble the cotija cheese
– add lime juice to sour cream
– cilantro, chopped and finely cut up
5. Make Taco Boats: this super fun for kids. take flour or corn tortillas at room temperature and put inside ramekin dishes to desired shape of your taco boat. Put in oven for 5 min for taco boat to take shape. Remove from oven and let cool before filling with taco toppings.
6. Remove chicken from oven, let cool for 5 minutes. Involve your kids, friends and family to start assembling tacos together. This is a fun dinner idea for small groups of 2 and for huge groups of 20+ people! Enjoy!
Christy & Renabella